We apply the same traditional skills and craft to the creation of new-build architectural ironwork, including the reproduction of missing elements in historic settings.
Our crafts men and women work with a wide range of materials including genuine wrought iron, cast iron, steel, copper and copper alloys (brass and bronze), tin, zinc, lead and gilded / decorative finishes, as well as associated masonry, carpentry, joinery and glazing.
Our work can be found anywhere that demands the very highest standards of craftsmanship from architectural ironwork features (such as gates and railings, windows, verandahs and canopies, roof lights and domes, balustrades, staircases and balconies) through to complete architectural structures (including iron bridges, conservatories, bandstands, fountains and glasshouses) and industrial heritage machinery (windmills, watermills).
Our aim is to provide
Please read our conservation policy
Original ideas and robust engineering
where supplying new mechanical devices.
The Directors jointly have 40 years practical experience on a diverse range of industrial heritage engineering and structural and architectural ironwork.
fixed-price where possible, with areas of uncertainty identified in advance as far as practical.
Periodic reporting of expenditure relative to budget.
We supervise or carry out each project personally, focusing on the details, and providing "instant action" emergency breakdown service if necessary.
Click below to see some of our most recent projects:
- Tower Bridge Steam Engine A Piston Repair
- Quakers Walk Ironwork Gate Restoration in Devizes
- Cast Iron and Lead Window Restoration at the Pro Cathedral in Bristol
- Iron Drinking Fountain Restoration at St Nicholas Market in Bristol
- Clenchers Water Mill Restoration in the grounds of Eastnor Castle Estate
- Cast Iron Heritage Finger Post Repairs
For more detailed advice about caring for typical aspects of architectural metalwork:
- Caring for architectural cast iron
- Maintaining wrought ironwork
- Cast iron rainwater system care
- Maintaining metal casement windows
- Traditional leaded light maintenance
For an insight into typical conservation and restoration techniques employed by us here at Dorothea Restorations:
Case study: Bristol Grammar School Wrought Iron Balustrades View All