The existing cast iron windows had been left for over 50 years. During this time the paint had deteriorated, glass broken, putty fallen out and some rust jacking of the cast iron members. Due to budget constraints the works were carried out on site.
The frames were cleaned back to a sound surface by hand and the rust treated. Missing putty was replaced with metal casement putty and the glass replaced where required on a like for like basis. The glass found in the windows was a mixture of crown, cylinder and float.
Following paint analysis it was decided to paint the frames a dark brunswick green to compliment the park opposite.
As part of our package we also restored several timber doors, and copy cast missing cast iron hoppers and gutter sections.
More about the Cathedral
The Cathedral of the Holy Apostles in Bristol dates back to the mid-19th century. Although works began in 1834, building on a hillside proved exceptionally challenging, and works were halted on two occasions. Foundation reinforcements were laid in 1843, after an initial 8 year hiatus in construction, but failed again. 5 years later, a roof was placed on top of the half-finished structure to allow it to finally be used as a church.
In 1850, Clifton was made an “episcopal see” or Bishops seat resulting in the church becoming a Pro-cathedral, (a church hoodwinking as a cathedral) intended to act in this capacity until a more fitting cathedral church could be constructed.
In 1965, a new cathedral was commissioned and built in Clifton, (Cathedral Church of SS. Peter and Paul) with works bring completing in 1973.
As such, the Pro-Cathedral of the Holy Apostles was closed and lay practically abandoned again, asides from the odd art installation and a Steiner School taking over the space briefly, until it was taken over by a development company for conversion into student accommodation.