The gates were removed, blast cleaned and a modern two pack epoxy paint system applied. Missing castings were copied cast in grey iron. Replicated elements were pinned or rivited to the main cast iron structure as they would have been originally. The broken cast iron hinge stile was metal stitched together. Water traps were filled with a modern adhesive mastic to help prevent future rusting.
Research was carried out to discover what emblem used to occupy the central area, this was found to be the Colston family crest. A mock-up was produced in clay, then a rubber mould taken. A resin copy was then produced. New crests were cast in grey iron and pinned back to back giving a 3 dimensional crest. Originally the crest would have been painted in the families colours, however it was decided that due to potential vandalism in the area they should remain black to match the gates.
The gates were painted with a modern two pack epoxy paint system before installation. Existing bronze pintle blocks were refurbished along with the top hinge straps. The gates were then installed ready to be photographed by the local newspaper.
Quakers Walk and the Colston Family
Back to case studies
A short footpath no longer than a mile, Quakers Walk is believed to have been part of a longer trail connecting Roundway village farmland with Devizes and its market, dating back as far as the 13th century.
From this time until the mid-1700’s much of the land surrounding Quakers Walk was owned by the Nicholas family until it was sold off to the Suttons in 1773.
The Sutton’s undertook much development of the land including building a large home, gardens and a lodge.Once Devizes Cemetery had been developed Quakers Walk became the only access route from these houses into central Devizes.
In 1840, the New Park Estate was sold off to the Colston’s - A powerful Bristol based trading company. The forefather of this company, Edward Colston, is a much celebrated figure in Bristol trade and development.
However, although a merchant, Member of Parliament and renowned philanthropist who invested much of his wealth in education and founding Alms-houses, most of his money almost certainly came from the exploitation of slave trade in the 18th century. To this day in Bristol, numerous buildings, roads, schools and even a regional bun are named after him.
His son, who bought the estate, started to close of the land much to the displeasure of the locals creating an 120 acre deer park occupied by no less than 200 deer. The Colston’s remained at Quakers Walk until 1948.
The remaining lodge and its ornate, regency style, cast iron gates are now grade II listed by The English Heritage.